Monday, October 09, 2006

Shakoy Level Up

Do you know what shakoy is?
It is not one of those Massively-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG). I don't know what others call it but it's a kind of pastry that you usually see in neighborhood provincial bakeries that are either long or shaped like a donut then covered with sugar. When I was a kid, this is the only donut that I knew.

SHAKOY

Years before I knew about Dunkin' Donuts, Mister Donut, Krispy Kreme and Go Nuts Donuts. Then when you bite it, its all air, and lots of sugar granules. I love it. This is one of my favorite pasalubong when I was small. And I still like it now.

When we went to a mall last month, we saw a food stall named Bicho Bicho Brothers.

The products they have in their shelves caught my attention and I almost shouted with joy to Lilia when I announced "Dear, may shakoy oh!" It looked like shakoy but with flavors like cinnamon and buttermilk. We tried some. Its warm, super soft and had a crunchy thin outer crust. The different coating flavors they offer placed the humble shakoy to a higher level. Yummy!
I was curious how they made the Bicho Bicho. To my surprise, what they used to make Bicho Bicho looks just like your ordinary off-the-shelf hotdog bun which they then deep fry in hot oil for a few minutes then rolled on a pan of sugar or other powdered flavoring. This is one simple baked goodie I can try at home. But maybe they are using their own brand of hotdog buns just to make their yummy treats. It costs PhP 10 each and comes in a box if you buy a dozen. A word of caution though, "If it tastes good, its bad." Eat moderately. It's a bit oily.

Krispy Kreme have their own version of our humble shakoy. They call it "Sugar."

No comments: